Re: UTL_SMTP - ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:38:23 GMT

dgriffi2_at_tampabay.rr.com (Dennis Griffith) wrote in news:171029db.0409041011.4566c7e2_at_posting.google.com:

> We have just set up a Windows 2003 Server with Oracle 9i.
>
> We are trying to use UTL_SMTP in a PL/SQL procedure to send an email
> using our mail server IP (mail server is a different server) and port
> and we get
> ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available
> We also checked a Java application (outside of Oracle) on the same
> server that does a send mail and it also can not connect to the Mail
> Server.
>
> *However*, Outlook express on the same server to the same mail server
> address does work. This tends to rule out the mail server and any
> firewall as causing the problem...?
>
> The PL/SQL procedure is correct as it was copied from another server
> that sends emails. It seems there is something on the server that
> does not allow the PL/SQL or the non-Oracle java application to
> connect to the mail server but does allow Outlook Express to connect
> to the mail server. Any ideas what to check?

While logged directly onto the the Windoze box where Oracle is installed open up a DOS/Command window. From it do telnet mailserver.yourdomain.com 25
You should get some kind of display/prompt if all is well. If you don't get anything then the problem is most likely network related. Received on Sat Sep 04 2004 - 14:38:23 CDT