UTL_SMTP - ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available

From: Dennis Griffith <dgriffi2_at_tampabay.rr.com>
Date: 4 Sep 2004 11:11:19 -0700

We have just set up a Windows 2003 Server with Oracle 9i.

We are trying to use UTL_SMTP in a PL/SQL procedure to send an email using our mail server IP (mail server is a different server) and port and we get

   ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available We also checked a Java application (outside of Oracle) on the same server that does a send mail and it also can not connect to the Mail Server.

*However*, Outlook express on the same server to the same mail server address does work. This tends to rule out the mail server and any firewall as causing the problem...?

The PL/SQL procedure is correct as it was copied from another server that sends emails. It seems there is something on the server that does not allow the PL/SQL or the non-Oracle java application to connect to the mail server but does allow Outlook Express to connect to the mail server. Any ideas what to check? Received on Sat Sep 04 2004 - 13:11:19 CDT