Re: O8 reorganization or O9 upgrade - which first?

From: Anton Dischner <nomail_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:35:40 +0200

Hi,

i assume you have only one box.

How do you want to do it?

Make several disaster friendly backups first.

Shutdown, Install Oracle 9.x, migrate database from 8.x to 9.x?

Shutdown, Export, re-install Oracle and database, import?

With two boxes, maybe one small but big data disk-sized.

Normal operation, import into test-system via database link.

Fresh install on main system, reimport via database-link.

I highly recommend switching to Oracle 10g.

i did im/export via database link of EOM. Works even with 100 GB+ of data, only thing is to keep an eye on your undo tablespace.

I will do second option soon for several production systems 8,1,7.4 to Oracle 10.1.0.3.

The brave one would do two instances 8 and 10 on the same box ;-)

regards,

Toni

PS: i'd do a complete fresh install of at least Oracle software and database.
There have been very bad erros with migrated instances.