Re: can a field reference the sum of a field in another table?

From: kaeli <tiny_one_at_NOSPAM.comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:15:59 -0500

In article <VcGdnb4T0u_sFZfcRVn-hw_at_comcast.com>, mcstockX_at_Xenquery enlightened us with...

> use a trigger on the tblAttendees table that
> would maintain the derived value in numAttendees

Oh, that pretty much defeats my purpose.

Thanks.

> perhaps, while we're waiting for Sybrand to elaborate on the theological
> implications of denormalization,

*snort*

> you could elaborate on why it would be more
> convenient to have the derived value in the table rather than to create a
> view that derives the value?

Oh, this is just for a little application that's only going to be around for a couple months for this special conference we're having (volunteer stuff). I'm piggy-backing the tables in an Oracle instance that is primarily used for a different application (it's hell to get a new instance created as we have to go through the help desk and the DBAs and jump through flaming hoops to amuse them, etc). The less crap I need to create in that instance, the better, b/c I'm just going to have to kill it all when the conference is over. Basically, I'm using my test database instance for one application to store the tables for this temporary application.

I guess I'll go with the view. What's one more DROP statement, eh? ;)

Thanks again.

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't stare at someone
who does. Just don't lick the TV screen, it leaves streaks.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace