Re: O9iAS the same as Oracle Application Server 10g

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 Jul 2004 12:11:42 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1090849070.262182_at_yasure>...
> Tim wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know why Oracle application Server 10g is actually Oracle
> > 9i Application Server release 9.0.4.0 ?

No, but Daniel has a pretty good clue. I would add a guess that someone high up took the grid idea that was coming for the db and said it was already here with the emctl and such. But it is such an immature product that was a dumb idea IMO. Technoweenies can feel k001 going through all those conf files, but production oriented managers have a different view.

It's worse. See http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/showdoc?db=Not&id=215882.1  Then as soon as you figure out all those core and non-core things where sometimes you apply patches with lower version numbers, forget it for http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_id=248904.1&p_database_id=NOT . Then realize even basic stuff like backups and migrations aren't figured out yet http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=276688.1  BTW, the Portal transport set that they call export, needs patching in 10g, and whether it works is still open to debate.

> > In some circles any O9i application server is simply refered to as
> > Oracle Application Server 10g, maybe because O9iAS-R1 is 1.0.2.2.2
> >
> > anybody got any idea about what is going on with this application
> > server versioning business ???????????????????
>
> Yes. There are people in marketing and public relations in Redwood
> Shores who are part of a job creation program.
>
> Oracle has not in many years made any sense in its naming and numbering:
> Insisting on meaningless name changes and fascinating numbering
> schemes. Either ignore it or try go figure out the naming and numbering
> of that thing that is called Developer Suite.

The document that explains that is for internal use only. But this is kinda interesting: http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/showdoc?db=Not&id=266541.1

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.