Re: Oracle deadlock on table with indexes.

From: VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:55:07 GMT

Hi,

> > The index was actually set by someone other than myself on a different
> > site.
> > When I comapred the indexes given VC's message, I noted that on one
> > index they had set a bitmap. I changed this to a bog-standard index
> > (non-unque in my case) and the deadlock dissapeared.
> >
> > Hope this helps!
> Just trying to learn. I had hoped that there was some magic solution
allowing you
> to keep the bitmap indexes.
> Would that mean that bitmap indexes aren't good for OLTP systems?

Bitmap indexes are not good for concurrent DMLs (delete/insert/update) because they create an opportunity for high locking contention and even dead-locks. Ordinary B*tree indexes are OK in a concurrent DML environment but naturally they lack bitmap nice features.

For more detail, please see this : http://www.dbazine.com/jlewis3.shtml

VC Received on Wed Jul 21 2004 - 17:55:07 CDT