Re: Oracle deadlock on table with indexes.

From: Paul <paulz_at_cavendish.co.uk>
Date: 22 Jul 2004 09:15:54 -0700

I'm not sure if it's as easy as that as the problem I was encountering was due to the nature of the tables being used rather than the application (type).
The table's entries typically have a single update, read and delete. Thus two transactions out of the three involved table changes.

From my reading bitmap indexes are far better for tables that have a lot of reads and very few changes.

I'm guessing (from the experience I've just had) that if a single process is updating/deleting from a table with a bitmap index, then there will be no clashes (obviously), or if multiple processes are running in different areas of the table, then (possibly) they would be okay too.

We occasionally got a clash in rows, but this should not have mattered because when process 'A' does it's delete, it would find process 'B' had removed it. The bitmap index however caused this situation to result in a deadlock - not so with a plain index.

But this is supposition based on experience.