Re: Oracle 8i Migration

From: Dimitris Andrakakis <dandrakakis_at_REMOVETHISmyrealbox.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:15:09 +0300

> You should probably research COMPRESS=N and look into proper backups.
> exp is not a recommended solution for backups, although it is good for
> other things, including some backup redundancy.

Well that's a disaster-scenario backup, and we've used it several times with success. Roughly, the procedure is this:

-Hard disk crashes
-Get new hd
-Install OS from scratch, service packs, updates etc. The server in question
does nothing but Oracle.
-Install Oracle, same version (8i)
-IMP the backup file.

Thanks for the (COMPRESS=N) tip ! Do you think it'll be (a lot) faster ? Like 50% or so ?

> There is some safety in being supported.

It sure is, and I'm not the one that'll say "go on your own". But there are some cases where really you need to. I suppose that, on Elias' case, there's only one server in the house and it has (for reasons irrelevant to Oracle) to be upgraded.

--
Dimitris Andrakakis
Network administrator