Re: Oracle 8i Migration

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 15 Jul 2004 15:33:59 -0700

"Dimitris Andrakakis" <dandrakakis_at_REMOVETHISmyrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<cd335b$pd2$1_at_ulysses.noc.ntua.gr>...
> > I've got an NT 4.0 server with Oracle 8i and I'm thinking to change
> > operating system to windows 2003.
> > Which is the safest way in order not to lose any data?
> > Are there any problems installing Oracle 8i on Windows 2003?
> > Thanx a lot
>
> Kalimera Elia,
> I have installed Oracle 8i (8.1.7) on Win2000 and 2003 server with
> absolutely no problem. I use export -> import for my backup needs, and it
> has been completely succesful when I used it to transfer a database. Only
> problem I had: the paths had to stay the same (like D:\Oracle in both OSs)
> *OR* I had to create the database and the tablespaces *before* the import
> (so the data files would be created).
>
> My export is really simple, like that:
>
> exp SYSTEM/MANAGER_at_ORACLE1 PARFILE=C:\scripts\oraexp.txt
>
> and oraexp.txt is:
>
> FULL=Y
> FILE=D:\ORABACKUP\Full.dmp
> BUFFER=2800000
> GRANTS=Y
> INDEXES=Y
> CONSISTENT=Y
> LOG=D:\ORABACKUP\full.log

You should probably research COMPRESS=N and look into proper backups. exp is not a recommended solution for backups, although it is good for other things, including some backup redundancy.

There is some safety in being supported.

> Ofcourse that's my experience only, and I'm no Oracle guru. I suggest you
> try it, test it and, hopefully post the results here for us to know :-)
>
> Hope that helps. Kalo kouragio !

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
If you were a doctor, would you invest in a tax shelter named