Re: ODBC question

From: Justin Cave <jcave_at_ddbcinc.com>
Date: 22 Jun 2004 09:20:59 -0700

peteg_at_garlic.com (hedrew3) wrote in message news:<aad10be0.0406212206.32fa703e_at_posting.google.com>...
> Basic question(s): I am trying to create a little web front-end search
> form to an Oracle table. The end users currently do not have any
> Oracle drivers installed.
>
> What is the minimum that needs to be installed for them: an ODBC
> driver (from Oracle, Microsoft, etc)? How about tnsnames.ora? Anthing
> else?

If this is a web front end on a three-tier system, you would generally need no software (other than a browser) on the client machine along with the Oracle client, tnsnames.ora file (or other TNS name resolution system), and an ODBC driver on the middle tier.

If you are running the browser on the same machine that is running the web server, you would need to install all that on the client machine.

If you are connecting to an 8.1.7.4 or later database, you may be able to use the 10g Instant Client to simplify the install process. This is a slimmed-down version of the Oracle client that you can package and install more easily and with a smaller footprint than the traditional Oracle client.

Justin Cave <jcave_at_ddbcinc.com>
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC Received on Tue Jun 22 2004 - 11:20:59 CDT