clone question

From: Paul Murphy <pmurphy_at_scsinet.com>
Date: 22 Jun 2004 08:57:50 -0700

8i and 9i under Windows 2000

I've successfully created a clone database under 9i, rebuilt control file and changed DBID and database name. It worked really well. I want to try to take hot backups of an 8i database and use them to create a clone running under 9i as a test database. The person who wants this clone doesn't want to install 8i, so I was wondering if you can change versions 8i to 9i using a clone rather than doing an import export. If not, I have a second question. I tried doing a full export and then a full import, but there are many, many constraints and triggers firing. I have a few scripts that enable and disable constraints, but I'm not sure how to deal with the triggers. In general, what's your advice for creating duplicate databases when there are a lot of constraints and triggers? Should I use RMAN or try to set up dataguard instead? Thanks for your advice!

Paul Murphy Received on Tue Jun 22 2004 - 10:57:50 CDT