Re: advice for developpement

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:13:33 -0700

AK wrote:

> Hello
>
> I just get a job as an oracle DBA where i have to manage a pool of software
> engineer for the database part .
>
> Even if i know my SQL and my oracle software , I 've a hard time adjusting
> from being someone who just execute an order to be someone who give the tone
> of the developement .
>
> And here lies my main problem , I know how to develop but I
> don't know how to manage developement which means :
>
> - What can I do to make the developpement more proficient
> - Are there simple rules to apply ?
>
> I'm a little bit confused so any advice (book , or web site or anything else
> ...) will be higly welcome ,
>
> TIA ,
> Andy

Then why did you accept the job?

  1. Develop a methodology with milestones for tracking what needs to be done and where each developer is in achieving it.
  2. Do not allow developers to just attach stuff ad hoc but rather develop a framework with specifications, ERD, UML, whatever so that everything that is done is targeted toward the goal and not a parade of individuality.
  3. Make sure that will back you if you need to reign in a cowboy or two.
--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu