Re: OCA Exam: Course materials or exam guides?

From: Steven Kondolf <skondolf_at_nospam.rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:19:02 GMT

On 11 Jun 2004 06:32:34 -0700, nick_williamson_at_mentorg.com (Nick Williamson) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I attended the '9i intro to SQL' and '9i DBA fundamentals I' courses,
>so naturally I have a copy of the course materials for them. As I'm
>going for OCA DBA certification, I'm wondering whether it's worth
>buying Oracle's exam guides for these two exams, or whether the course
>materials will be sufficient to get me through.
>
>I've read less-than-flattering things about the books - mostly that
>they contain many errors and that the sample questions don't
>accurately reflect the format of the exams. Is it worth getting these
>books? Are there any alternative books that you would recommend?
>
>TIA
>Nick

Having just passed my 2 OCA exams I found the study software from Self-Test software (www.selftestsoftware.com) to be helpful. Questions seemed to mimic the actual exam questions and the software allows many different ways to study; by chapter, questions with multiple answers, questions you got wrong x number of times, etc. You can also take a timed test that approximate the test you'll take at the Prometric center.

Software seemed a little pricey but hey, my company paid for it.

Good luck. Received on Fri Jun 11 2004 - 19:19:02 CDT