Re: Recommendations

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:39:44 +0200

"Bill Van Dyk" <trash_at_christian-horizons.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:40C4722C.4070300_at_christian-horizons.org...
> Hello experts,
> We are currently running a payroll / HR system on Oracle 8.1.7 on
> Windows 2000 Server. We plan to add several other applications to this
> system and have been discussing and debating how best to set it up. We
> would appreciate the advice of experienced users here. The question is:
>
> Should each major application or group of applications have their own
> tablespace? Or should they be in a completely different instance?
>
> We think that at times in the future, we may need to shut down one or
> more of our applications without interfering with the other
> applications, for alteration or restores.
> None of the applications will
> be very "heavy"-- about 5 - 10 users at any given time. The main
> application-- payroll-- will do heavy processing at times.
Several instances mean a more or less static distribution of memory. Personally I'd try to avoid this and let oracle handle the memory allocation.
Do your apps require different and mutually exclusive initialisation parameters that can not be set per session? If yes, you're out of luck and have to do several instances.

> Several of the applications will share some of the same tables.
Same instance or dblink. I've never done dblink and therefore would go with the "same instance" approach.

> The server is a Pentium IV 2.2 Xeon dual processor with 1 gig of RAM and
> RAID 5.

http://www.miracleas.dk/BAARF/BAARF2.html

Also, is there any reason not to upgrade to 9i or 10g?

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Mon Jun 07 2004 - 09:39:44 CDT