Re: Why does Oracle cost so much?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 13:16:32 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

>> Are you saying - you're not sure whether size matters?

> Scalability could refer to many different metrics. You make an allusion
> to only one of them. Another measure might be how many other women are
> in the male's life at one time. And having a vivid imagination I can
> think of a few more.

Note that I did not specify the unit of measurement. You read the allusion [to only one] into my question.

For example Size of Shared Pool, as you use, is valid _in this instance_ as a potential measure of scalability even if the measure is non-traditional. I can think of a few others.

As an aside, in this case I suspect that the query may have to be set up very carefully and possibly using some explicit locking, even if it does inhibit concurrency. I'd also have to suggest watching the SORT_AREA_SIZE very carefully. Of course that depends entirely on the data set - as often discussed, it's important to know your data.

One challenge I see is in definition of performance, as 'fastest completion' might not be the most desirable objective. I guess that proves the importance of a documented SLA.

/Hans Received on Fri May 28 2004 - 08:16:32 CDT