Re: Novell to Win2k

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 19:37:58 +0200

Bill Van Dyk wrote:

> The full text of the settings in vol5:oranw734\network\admin is:
>
> NW_DEVL.world =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS =
> (COMMUNITY = spx.world)
> (PROTOCOL = SPX)
> (SERVICE = NWSERVER_DEVL)
> )
>
> The solution apparently is this (from the console command prompt in Novell):
>
> load exp userid=contact/password_at_nw_devl.world
>
> I don't know why I never hit upon the "nw_devl.world" term before.
> Still doesn't seem "obvious" to me, but I'll take it. Thanks all for
> helpful hints and clues.
>
> Bill Van Dyk wrote:
>

>> I have corrected the tnsnames file to...  Actually, I just noticed
>> that it is not "tnsnames.ora" but "listener.ora" which has the setting
>> below (sorry).
>>
>>   (SID_DESC =
>>     (SID_NAME = DEVL)
>>     (ORACLE_HOME = VOL8:ORANW734)
>>
>> Vol8:oranw734\database is the actual location of the database files.
>>  I tried both
>> vol8:oranw734
>> and
>> vol8:oranw734\database
>>
>> Then I tried:
>>     load exp userid=system/manager_at_devl
>>
>> I still get:
>>     Oracle error 12154
>>     TNS could not resolve service name.
>>
>> If I type
>>     TNSping devl
>> from my workstation, I get positive results.
>>
>> I feel like I'm learning a lot, but not quite the right thing yet.

>>>Correct the tnsnames file.
>>>Jim

because your sqlnet.ora file by default has an entry: names.default_domain = world
That entry effectively makes you do not have to type the extension - it will default to that. Someone must have altered the entry, or removed sqlnet.ora alltogether.

Glad you got it working!

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel