Re: New Machine

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 03:37:39 GMT

Oradba Linux wrote:

> I want to buy a desktop with no operating system . My main purpose would be
> install
> os ( most likely linux either RHAS 2.1 or RHEL 3.0) and install oracle
> 9i/10g software .
> I would not be using this machine for anything else . I want to use this
> mostly for learning .
> My option is look for stores who would build me a machine like this either
> online or locally .
> I live in Richmond , VA . Anybody has leads about online stores or have
> ideas for
> configuration , let me know . I want to work on a tight budget . I would
> want atleast a gig of
> memory . I am not too worried about the processor speed.

This is totally off-topic, but here goes...

There are a number of on-line "build it yourself" stores, where you pick from a menu of parts, and usually "no operating system" is one of the choices. They will assemble it for you (maybe $25-$50) and ship, you have to be familiar or willing to learn about motherboards, CPU cooling fans, video cards, disk controllers, and much more to do this comfortably.

Try searching for "bare bones PC" on the web, this will get you a bunch of other links of a similar nature.

--Mark Bole Received on Mon May 10 2004 - 22:37:39 CDT