Re: Konada.Db IS PURE SPAM

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:10:30 -0700

S. Davis wrote:

> The English text of the charter is quite clear about the purpose of
> c.d.o.marketplace. In addition, the word "marketplace" has a
> frequently understood meaning that's cosnsistent with the charter's
> text about "commercially oriented topics of interest to people using
> Oracle software".
>
> Perhaps you missed my earlier message that pointed out Frank Piron's
> library is available under GPL license. It's free software. Any
> objections to Frank Piron's message as spam, based on the charter,
> are erroneous.

I disagree. The fact that something is free does not in any way mean that the purpose of the offer is not commercial or promotional. You are using the most narrow definition possible. I will acknowledge I am using the broadest. The difference between us is that with your definition the c.d.o. groups become available for postings of meeting notices, every free offer that can remotely be construed as relating to Oracle software ... including those from competitors such as Microsoft that might wish to offer a free trial of SQL Server's interface to Oracle or their new report writer, etc.

But still not one person has been willing to stand up and address the issue I bring up over and over again. Why is posting in c.d.o.marketplace a hardship? Why is it an imposition to request that promotional messages be placed there?

We expect those postings in c.d.o.tools to relate to tools don't we? We expect those in c.d.o.server to relate to server related issues don't we? Why this desire to exempt promotional messages?

And anytime this group feels otherwise I will be glad to use, or in my view abuse, the groups by promoting every Oracle related activity taking place of which I am aware. Of course all of them will be free.

So unless you can offer some compelling reason why using c.d.o.marketplace is some form of abuse ... I think you should reconsider your interpretation.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu