Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:41:52 GMT

"there will be no new architecture for computing for the next 1,000
years,"

And yet Oracle is now pushing Grid computing.

Anyone who really thinks that the above statement is true obviously has not spent much time in the IT industry. Products that are 3 years old are "ancient" and antiquated.

I agree with others that this article should not be a factor in your decision on your RDMBS platform. You decision should be based on two things....your technical requirements and the cost/benefit to your business. Which RDBMS systems meet your technical requirements? Which RDBMS gives you the most bang for your buck? If you do your homework, then you might find Oracle comes out on top with their latest 10g pricing structure. Or it might not (it's hard to beat free software, but then you get what you pay for).

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com