Using DESCRIBE command with large LINESIZE set

From: Saeed <sr_ng_at_goawaynms-sys-lts.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:22:39 +0000

The problem I am about to describe afflicts 8i and 8i on Linux, and is now showing up in 9i on Windows too. Previous versions of SQL*Plus installed on Windows were fine.

If you have Oracle 9i client installed on Windows, you may see this as follows:

Logon to SQL*PLus

Type "DESC user_tables"

and you get the usual 3 column output.

Now type "SET linesize 300"

and then "DESC user_tables"

and all you will see is the "name" col, and everything else right over to the right hand side, usually hidden as scrolling right doesn't work.

In Linux the telnet emulator causes the output to be wrapped, so you see everything, but it's not very clear.

This is obviously annoying, especially if like me you try not to become reliant on things like TOAD. It's as though are trying their best to stop people using good old SQL*Plus.

Anyone got any ideas of settings that might help?

Kind regards,

Saeed

sr_ng 786 Received on Wed Mar 17 2004 - 17:22:39 CST