Re: SPAM DB has been released

From: Ed Avis <ed_at_membled.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2004 22:28:51 +0000

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes:

>The DB2 and Informix groups have their rules and they should be
>respected. The Oracle group's rules should be too.

Agreed, but we're trying to establish whether the rules of the Oracle group prohibit announcements of non-commercial free software projects. The charter seems to allow it, and so far it seems to be only you who have objected (without giving any example from the charter to justify your claim).

If the general feeling on this group is that announcements of free software projects are unwelcome then I will accept that, but the views of one member (even if a distinguished and regular poster) don't automatically count for the whole group.

If other people join in to support your ban on free software announcements, or you can point me to a previous discussion where this was generally agreed, then I'll bow to that precedent.

>And if spammers aren't made to pay a price for what they do it just
>encourages them to spam more and for others to do so too.

Yes I agree! But you are begging the question, the point is whether a developer who has written, without payment, a useful tool for use with Oracle and distributed it as free software, and who then announces it on a suitable newsgroup (bearing in mind what I mentioned earlier about the charter) is a spammer. I don't think he is.

--
Ed Avis <ed_at_membled.com>