Re: SPAM DB has been released

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:14:12 -0800

Ed Avis wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes:
>

>>The DB2 and Informix groups have their rules and they should be
>>respected. The Oracle group's rules should be too.

> Agreed, but we're trying to establish whether the rules of the Oracle
> group prohibit announcements of non-commercial free software
> projects. The charter seems to allow it, and so far it seems to be
> only you who have objected (without giving any example from the
> charter to justify your claim).
>
> If the general feeling on this group is that announcements of free
> software projects are unwelcome then I will accept that, but the views
> of one member (even if a distinguished and regular poster) don't
> automatically count for the whole group.

Agreed. Ok group ... how do you feel about opening up the groups to postings that are of a non-commercial nature but are intended to drive traffic to a for-profit web site?

Keep in mind that others seeing these posts will not take the time to analyze them and determine their nature and will most likely use them as an excuse to post commercial messages. Ed Avis didn't even take the time to read our Charter before posting his message that I, and I believe Sybrand too, have clearly labelled as unadulterated spam.

Finally ... should we look at amending the Charter to clarify this issue?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)