Re: PEAR DB 1.6.0 has been released - now OT if not originally

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:19:14 -0800

Ed Avis wrote:
> Jonathan Leffler <jleffler_at_earthlink.net> writes:
>

>>It appears that your posting to comp.databases.oracle.server and
>>comp.databases.oracle.misc was misguided under the rules of those
>>groups.

> I think this is still open to debate - I can't see anything in the
> charter of oracle.misc that would make it against the rules - but we
> will discuss this on the Oracle groups themselves.
>
> Personally I am pleased to hear about free software related to Oracle
> and I don't consider it spam for the simple reason that no money is
> involved. I completely agree with the people who say they will never
> give money to spammers, but in this case it's irrelevant because free
> software projects do not require payment.

I think we have made it abundantly clear that we consider it spam.

So lets analyze the situation. If you have no profit motive in your posting why do you care about which group you post to? If you are truly being generous then posting at the location we request should be greeted by "sorry if I offended anyone please accept my apology" and a posting at c.d.o.marketplace.

The fact that you are making a issue out of it mocks your claim of being driven by the desire to be generous and a member of our community. It clearly indicates your motivation is marketing and PR: We call that spam.

Actions speak far louder than words.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu