Re: Help 'Getting started'

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:07:45 -0800

Dan Bolser wrote:

> At the risk of starting world war 3, I want to ask another 'oracle for
> dummies question'.

It takes more than a question to start a war ... an opinion, however, will usually suffice. ;-)

> I want to get going with oracle in, lets say, less than 1 day. ;) (I am
> serious!).

And I'm serious when I say LOFL. What is your background?

> What I have is this -
>
> FTP acces to an oracle database dump.

Created by what means from what version of Oracle?

> (Database needs *no* input from me, schema is ready to go).

You assume. The dump is not going to create tablespaces. And depending on how it was created it might not have constraints, indexes, grants, etc.

> Oracle sucessfully installed on RH9.

What version?

> Good sql grounding (but that isn't the problem (yet)).

SQL in what product. It could still be a problem.

> Old (very old) experience with M$ SQL (probably of no relevance).

Some relevance but you may spend more time unlearning than learning. That it is very old is a plus.

> All I want to do (first) is 'load' the dump into oracle. I have no idea
> how to set up oracle table space, or how to import dumps. Is their a tool?

Go to http://www.psoug.org
Click on Morgan's Library
Locate IMPORT
Locate TABLESPACES
etc.

> If anyone wants I can post up the instructions which come with the dump.

That would be a good thing. At least we can evaluate whether they will work. What version did the export using what language and character set?

What is the database into which you hope to import it?

> Starting for a clean install, I can start/stop database, but what next?

Depends on many things. For one thing what were the original tablespaces? How large? How many? What users? What roles and system privileges?

> Can anyone point me in the right direction of a 'how to' or a 'getting
> started' which explains my problem.

I'd suggest hiring a consultant to do it and teach you but that is likely not an option. This may take a few back-and-forth postings here so be patient.

In your spare time acquaint yourself with http://tahiti.oracle.com too.

> I read all the posts to the previous message 'assisstance required', but I
> figure my first step is so specific perhaps a particular document could be
> pointed out to me.

More likely 15-30 documents. There are too many unknowns at this point.

> Again (perhaps just to show you how neive I am) all I want to do is
> simply load the oracle dump they try some sql.
>
> All the best,
> Dan.

Keep your head down. ;-)

--