Help 'Getting started'

From: Dan Bolser <dmb_at_mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 00:17:02 +0000

At the risk of starting world war 3, I want to ask another 'oracle for dummies question'.

I want to get going with oracle in, lets say, less than 1 day. ;) (I am serious!).

What I have is this -

FTP acces to an oracle database dump.
(Database needs *no* input from me, schema is ready to go). Oracle sucessfully installed on RH9.
Good sql grounding (but that isn't the problem (yet)). Old (very old) experience with M$ SQL (probably of no relevance).

All I want to do (first) is 'load' the dump into oracle. I have no idea how to set up oracle table space, or how to import dumps. Is their a tool?

If anyone wants I can post up the instructions which come with the dump.

Starting for a clean install, I can start/stop database, but what next?

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a 'how to' or a 'getting started' which explains my problem.

I read all the posts to the previous message 'assisstance required', but I figure my first step is so specific perhaps a particular document could be pointed out to me.

Again (perhaps just to show you how neive I am) all I want to do is simply load the oracle dump they try some sql.

All the best,
Dan. Received on Sun Feb 22 2004 - 18:17:02 CST