Re: how to link Apache and Oracle?

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 05:35:39 GMT

nowayjose_at_telus.net wrote:

> Hi gurus!
>
> I would like to learn how to write simple web applications. I plan to
> use Linux and Apache, for database I will naturally use Oracle . But I
> don't know what is the easiest way to link Apache and Oracle. What's
> the easiest thing to learn: PHP, or Perl, or JSP... or something
> completely different? Someone mentioned Cold Fusion, I don't have it,
> but if it is easy I guess I can get it and learn... What is your
> opinion?
>
> Thanks!

Considering that Oracle database comes with Apache listener, OC4J (their J2EE container) and mod_plsql (and I believe mod_perl - although that may just be 9i App Server), you may want to review Oracle's own documentation at http://docs.oracle.com ... head towards the 9.0.2 or higher App Server and look up the Oracle HTTP Server documentation.

Note that the "Oracle HTTP Server Powered by Apache" is based on Apache 1.3.2 although that should not matter as you can always intercept and redirect. Easier than re-inventing the wheel.

Note also that the 'built in' Apache is 'restricted use' and official deployment should be through Oracle App Server. But it's the same beast (well almost - mainly different in config file locations) and suitable for learning. So if you get bored with learning on that one, you can always download the Oracle9i App Server (Java/J2EE Editrion) and have fun that way.

BTW - also consider looking at Oracle's tutorials at http://otn.oracle.com > Sample Code as well as the Oracle By Example at http://otn.oracle.com/obe/start

HTH
/Hans Received on Tue Feb 17 2004 - 23:35:39 CST