Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Erwin Moller <since_humans_read_this_I_am_spammed_too_much_at_spamyourself.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:21:41 +0100

Dave wrote:

Thanks for your time Dave.

> My question (you guessed):
> How well equiped I am to teach some basics on SQL when I use Oracle?
> I heard PostgreSQL is a little similar to Oracle. Is that true? (That
> would
> make me happy.)
> **** Not sure, but the standard SQL commands should be the same.
> Oracle does not support the JOIN syntax until 9i, so that is a little
> different. For instance, a left join looks like this...
> WHERE T1.X = T2.X (+)
> but in 9i you can do it either way.

Good. I understood they run version 9i, so I can teach them the modern JOIN-syntax. (If we get there.:P)

> What do I need to create a few tables?
> **** Command line SQL*PLUS
>
> Is there some visual GUI to Oracle database? (I only know commandline
> SQL*)
> **** Enterprise manager can be installed with the database. GUI based
> environment. It would actually be good for you to use, because you can
> perform actions like "create table", and then click on a button to
> view the generated DDL script.
>
> What websites are good for a quickstart?
> **** http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.docindex?remark=homepage
> **** http://asktom.oracle.com

Thanks!
Those online books are great.

I am sure these sites will get me going soon enough.

> Can I download some evaluationversion for free? (I have access to
> Linux
> Redhat8 and NT4 and Windows2000 Professional)
> **** You can download most stuff from Oracle for free evaluation
> fairly easily...otn.oracle.com look for download link.
>
> **** Dave

Thanks for your patient with this complete nOOb, Dave!

Regards,
Erwin Moller Received on Thu Feb 12 2004 - 03:21:41 CST