Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Dave <davidr21_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Feb 2004 14:06:02 -0800

My question (you guessed):
How well equiped I am to teach some basics on SQL when I use Oracle? I heard PostgreSQL is a little similar to Oracle. Is that true? (That would
make me happy.)
**** Not sure, but the standard SQL commands should be the same.
Oracle does not support the JOIN syntax until 9i, so that is a little different. For instance, a left join looks like this... WHERE T1.X = T2.X (+)
but in 9i you can do it either way.

What do I need to create a few tables?
**** Command line SQL*PLUS

Is there some visual GUI to Oracle database? (I only know commandline SQL*)
**** Enterprise manager can be installed with the database. GUI based
environment. It would actually be good for you to use, because you can perform actions like "create table", and then click on a button to view the generated DDL script.

What websites are good for a quickstart?
**** http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.docindex?remark=homepage

Can I download some evaluationversion for free? (I have access to Linux
Redhat8 and NT4 and Windows2000 Professional)
**** You can download most stuff from Oracle for free evaluation
fairly easily...otn.oracle.com look for download link.