Re: Oracle9i/Liuvx9.0 Install Problem

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 02:46:53 GMT

DJ wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Tom Jones wrote:
>>

>>>I am installing oracle9i on redhat 9.0 ... I do not run the runInstall
>>>program directly from the cdrom ... I switched the display settings down

[...]
>>This is UNIX. Open a termial window and run the installer as appropriate
>>for the environment.
>>
>>./runInstaller &
>>
>>--
>>Daniel Morgan

[...]
> good advice, but go to www.dizwell.com and download the white paper.
>
> You need to set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 for it to work
>
> (may be wrong on the exact name - its from memory
>
> Dave

Following Dan's comment, first try the command "xterm" from a terminal window. If a new command (terminal) window doesn't open up on your desktop within a few seconds, then your X-windows configuration needs help -- check the DISPLAY variable, for example.

On a related note, I had the darndest experience recently. I got the CD media pack directly from Oracle for version 9.2 for Linux 32-bit (we're running some kind of Red Hat Advanced Server 2.x, don't have the version handy).

I set all the kernel params, etc, strictly from Oracle's doc and release notes. I have installed Oracle under Solaris, HP-UX, and Windows so I have some idea what a good install looks like. But the install failed repeatedly after hundreds of MB's were extracted, it basically got to a certain JAR file in the install sequence and suddenly got "IOexception2" errors, also bad CRC's for extracting from the jar file. I could re-try and make the same error happen, although in several complete install attempts it was with different files on the CD-ROM.

Copied the entire 3 CD-ROM's to disk and had the same experience...

Bottom line, I downloaded the *exact* same base version (9.2.0.1) from Oracle and it worked like a charm. I even went so far as to verify file sizes and timestamps and they matched (but I didn't verify the file contents...)

Sounds like maybe just bad media. But still very strange. I can only think of one other situation in many years where CD-ROM media I obtained directly from the vendor (Microsoft) had physical problems...

So, moral is, download the latest from the OTN if you are able to...and try that.

--Mark Bole. Received on Tue Feb 10 2004 - 20:46:53 CST