Re: Oracle Select/Insert Locking

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 10 Feb 2004 21:48:43 -0600

It seems that you have two tables? Message and User? And, you create a relationship between these two after a User has "read" a message? And your anomaly is that the same message is being read by one user at almost the exact same time which causes one of these message_user rows to fail on insert? Does this happen with large test scripts suites or truly in the workings of your app? It sounds like it shouldn't ever actually show up.

If a user truly wants to try and trip your system up for kicks, I'd just fail one of them and not look back. I'd go so far as to not even notify the comedian. If two or more people can represent the same "user" then you have organizational password management issues and I'd look into fixing that.

In the app I'm currently working on, we actually have as one of our requirements that if a user logs into our app twice, the first login gets kicked off. I'm still a bit unsure of whether I like the idea, but in your case, if I'm correct, this would work great. Some joker is trying to play tricks on your app so just fart on him and move on.

--
Galen Boyer