Re: ODBC / OCI

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 23:11:05 GMT

"Vu Pham" <vu_at_sivell.com> wrote in message news:c03qmo$12i0j1$1_at_ID-219297.news.uni-berlin.de...
> Hi all,
>
> I am sorry if this question is so simple or has been answered somewhere. I
> did some Google search but maybe I did'nt use the correct keywords.
>
> I am looking for the benefit comparison between using ODBC or OCI to
connect
> to a remote Oracle server. The platform for the app is W2k.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vu

If you write the code efficiently then OCI is going to be more efficient. Also you can use certain options that you can't use in ODBC. Of course, you can write inefficient code with either API.

One of the biggest mistakes is not reading the application developer's guides and not using bind variables. Also parse once and just keep reexecuting, much more efficient.
Jim Received on Sat Feb 07 2004 - 17:11:05 CST