Re: alternativ transparent gateway ??

From: Netrista Khatam <nkhatam_at_openlinksw.com>
Date: 6 Feb 2004 09:14:09 -0800

"Jens Mander" <edgarellen_at_tonline.de> wrote in message news:<bvp3bj$gdm$07$1_at_news.t-online.com>...
> Hello
>
> are they any ideas to connect to another dbms like informix without a
> transparent gateway ?
> I have 2 datasources (oracle and informix) and i want to query both to make
> one report with oracle reports from this results.
>
> can anybody help me ?

Hello Jens,

     As Mark states, Oracle Heterogeneous Services is certainly one way to go, provided you have the appropriate version and operating system. (I could be wrong, but I believe hsodbc is only available for HP, AIX, and Solaris.)

     If you experience problems with Oracle Heterogeneous Services, you may also want to check out OpenLink Software's Virtuoso Server. Virtuoso would allow you to link heterogeneous Oracle and Informix tables into one, virtual repository. Then, you establish one ODBC link to the Virtuoso repository, and query the two data stores, as if they were one. Virtuoso would also free you up to use any ODBC-compliant reporting tool that you desire. Here is an animated presentation showing a similar demonstration with Oracle and SQLServer tables:

http://demo.openlinksw.com/viewlets/VB3SWF/LinkTables_viewlet_swf.html

Netrista Khatam
Technical Services Manager
OpenLink Software