Re: Strategy for Web based Oracle application

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:17:02 -0800

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> "Rick Denoire" <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message
>

>>We have developed a Web based Oracle application consisting of a PHP
>>driven GUI, an Apache Web Server, and an Oracle DB.
>>
>>Quite often, users complain because the Browser won't wait longer than
>>30 sec for query results to be returned. The real bad problem is that
>>these queries seem to run forever, even when the user closes the
>>Browser.

> <snip>
>
>>Now we decided to redesign the whole thing. Since we lack the
>>necessary expertise, we will engage some contractors or a specialized
>>company to do the job. The problem still remains that we need to
>>define the specifications in order to avoid performance problems and
>>any other problems typical for this kind of setup. Specifically,
>>security has highest priority, beccause the application will be put on
>>the public Internet at some time later.
>>
>>At this point we are gathering information in order to develop a
>>technical concept. Any hint, advice or reference to literature is
>>highly appreciated!

> From a technical point of view I'd err towards Daniel's suggestion. However
> it does seem to me that you have an alternative
>
> Include in your spec
>
> What the app needs to do functionally.
> What the performance conditions are that should be met.
> What the concurrency and load expected is.
>
> Then let the 'experts' compete for a cost-effective solution and you accept
> or reject it according to the criteria you specced. This might be termed a
> business solution.
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK
> Please include version and platform
> and SQL where applicable
> It makes life easier and increases the
> likelihood of a good answer

I agree but I'd like to add one caveat. Not once have I ever seen a specification written that included the following:

"Must guarantee data integrity if accessed through a tool other than the intended front-end."

Add to the clients specification those attributes, essential to a database system required to protect it, that the clients did not know enough to state in their list of requirements.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu