Re: Strategy for Web based Oracle application

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:33:25 -0000

"Rick Denoire" <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message news:125q10diipsmokr7vp8ek8ahpap1ek55pj_at_4ax.com...
> We have developed a Web based Oracle application consisting of a PHP
> driven GUI, an Apache Web Server, and an Oracle DB.
>
> Quite often, users complain because the Browser won't wait longer than
> 30 sec for query results to be returned. The real bad problem is that
> these queries seem to run forever, even when the user closes the
> Browser.

<snip>

> Now we decided to redesign the whole thing. Since we lack the
> necessary expertise, we will engage some contractors or a specialized
> company to do the job. The problem still remains that we need to
> define the specifications in order to avoid performance problems and
> any other problems typical for this kind of setup. Specifically,
> security has highest priority, beccause the application will be put on
> the public Internet at some time later.
>
> At this point we are gathering information in order to develop a
> technical concept. Any hint, advice or reference to literature is
> highly appreciated!

From a technical point of view I'd err towards Daniel's suggestion. However it does seem to me that you have an alternative

Include in your spec

What the app needs to do functionally.
What the performance conditions are that should be met. What the concurrency and load expected is.

Then let the 'experts' compete for a cost-effective solution and you accept or reject it according to the criteria you specced. This might be termed a business solution.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA