Re: Oracle 9.2 authentication and thread counts

From: pashda <dave.pashby_at_russellmelloncaps.com>
Date: 22 Jan 2004 11:21:21 -0800

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote in message news:<a1d154f4.0401220657.4af3271_at_posting.google.com>...
> dave.pashby_at_russellmelloncaps.com (pashda) wrote in message news:<df2562ec.0401220312.52a377b1_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Any offers and suggestions for :-
> >
> > Oracle 9.2.0.4.0 server is showing a rising thread count. Oracle
> > suggest setting sqlnet.authentications_services to (NONE), but say
> > this should have been cured as an issue by 9.2.0.2.0
> >
> > In Oracle Administrative Assistant ( MMC tool ) we cannot see any
> > process information.
>
> Oracle is implemented as a threaded service. Each session will have
> Oracle create a new thread. Seems nothing to worry about.
> On NT there is only one single Oracle process, the clients implemented
> as threads. If the number of threads is worrying you, consider
> a) providing more information to the exact source of your problem
> b) configure multithreaded server
> c) migrate the database to a real O/S
> (which is basically any (l)Unix flavor)
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Thanks ( I think ).
a) We dont know the source of the problem, but after about 5 weeks we have reached 750 sessions. Each day the peaks are about 40 higher. Once we reach 750 it seems Windows 2K decides it cant create anymore threads and the database doesnt accept new connections. b) Point me at a tech not for this and thats maybe a ways to go. Present server ( hardware ) is 2GB ram, 2 * 2ghz Xeon. c) See this really Pi**es me off. We use Windows 2000 because its cost effective. We are running a business who have to meet targets, not an organisation who can choose their OS because its some egotistical trip. Windows ( NT, 2K, 2K3 ) have proved ultra reliable for all other business strength apps - mail, work group databases ( SQL and Sybase ), reporting tools, the lot. We actually moved off AIX on RS6000 and onto Windows 2000 servers with Intel beacuse of the sheer costs of the hardware. £1000 for an Ethernet card - you gotta be joking. Not if your IBM though. We were assured ( by resellers and Oracle ) that plenty of top line businesses run Oracle on Windows 2000. Yet so many people seem to think they can slag the MS OS off as soon as an app fails on it. Surely its the application developers who should test and retest there apps to ensure they are stable in the environment which they sell the application. Now - sure I'd like to have Linux running underneath, but it isnt going to happen, simply because the support isnt there. Received on Thu Jan 22 2004 - 13:21:21 CST