Re: Oracle 9.2 authentication and thread counts

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Jan 2004 06:57:32 -0800

dave.pashby_at_russellmelloncaps.com (pashda) wrote in message news:<df2562ec.0401220312.52a377b1_at_posting.google.com>...
> Any offers and suggestions for :-
>
> Oracle 9.2.0.4.0 server is showing a rising thread count. Oracle
> suggest setting sqlnet.authentications_services to (NONE), but say
> this should have been cured as an issue by 9.2.0.2.0
>
> In Oracle Administrative Assistant ( MMC tool ) we cannot see any
> process information.

Oracle is implemented as a threaded service. Each session will have Oracle create a new thread. Seems nothing to worry about. On NT there is only one single Oracle process, the clients implemented as threads. If the number of threads is worrying you, consider

a) providing more information to the exact source of your problem
b) configure multithreaded server
c) migrate the database to a real O/S

(which is basically any (l)Unix flavor)

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Jan 22 2004 - 08:57:32 CST