Xvfb X-server emulator and Oracle 11i reports server

From: Matt <nospam_at_fred.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:16:50 -0000

We are running Oracle Financials 11i on Solaris8, the machine in question in a SunFire F12K domain and has no directly attached console.

The reports server for Oracle 11i requires an Xserver to write to for the production of bitmap reports.

We have installed Xvfb which emulates an Xserver on machines without a directly attached console.

I can get a simple X application like xclock to start against the pseudo Xserver but when the Oracle 11i ar60runb job is run to produce bitmap reports it returns a REP-3000 error

I have experimented with starting Xvfb with different screen size options but this either results in a core dump or the REP-3000 error

Oracle support are not too helpful regarding this error, their documentation says that if xlock will start then all should be okay.

There are lots of references to this on the internet but, as yet, I can't find one which solves my problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be preventing the Oracle reporting program from being able to utilise the pseudo Xserver?

Thanks Received on Tue Dec 23 2003 - 10:16:50 CST