Re: Concatenate Column Values from Multiple Rows into a Single Column

From: Onismus Radebe <onismusrATabsaDOTcoDOTza_at_za>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 17:06:44 +0200

"Rad Thibodayox" <cdt1968RemoveThis_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3fd08a6c$1_2_at_news.unc.edu...

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
> > Rad Thibodayox wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to combine a field's values from multiple records in a
> >> single field. For example:
> >>
> >> Last First Code
> >> ------- --------- ----
> >> Lesand Danny 1
> >> Lesand Danny 2
> >> Lesand Danny 3
> >> Benedi Eric 7
> >> Benedi Eric 14
> >>
> >> Result should look like:
> >>
> >> Last First Codes
> >> ------- --------- -----
> >> Lesand Danny 1,2,3
> >> Benedi Eric 7,14
> >>

> >> Any help would be appreciated,
> >>
> >> Dwayne
> >

> > This is school work and as you can probably surmise we don't do other
> > people's homework and exams.
> >
> > But you are entitled to a hint ... and the hint is that this requires a
> > stored procedure. Think cursor. Think loop.
> >
> Hey Jackass,
>
> You surmised wrong. I'm a SAS programer new to Oracle. This kind of
> thing can be done in a frigging data step in SAS. I just figured Oracle
> could handle it as easily.
>
> Thanks for Nothing Jerk

Hi Dwayne,

I'm also a SAS programmer and currently teaching myself PL/SQL which is what you will need in this case, Oracle SQL wont do here. Seeing that you are new to Oracle my advise to you is :
extract your data from Oracle into a SAS dataset then do your manipulation in SAS using the data step. Otherwise if you decide to write a procedure for it then you may want to look at CURSORs, FOR LOOPS, INDEX BY Table with PRIOR and NEXT methods etc.