Re: Finding data with spaces in them.

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_bad_address.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:32:43 GMT

Response inline:

Prince Of Thieves wrote:

> Problem is....I'm not an Oracle guru. I just know the basic SQL and the
> following are unknown to me so I hope someone can explain what they do:
>
> COUNT (*)>1

Count is not restricted to Oracle. Sorry, but you can't justify the 'basic SQL' claim either.

Count(*) is used to count all the rows (whereas count(column) is used to count the rows that have a non-null value in column).

Where and Having clauses are used to keep rows of interest and eliminate rows that are not of interest.

Placing this in the Having clause indicates that we want to keep those groups of rows that meet the criteria indicated.

> How does this work?
>
> SELECT REPLACE (STYLECODE, ' ','')
Look that up in the 'functions' section of the documentation at http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.to_toc?pathname=server.920%2Fa96540%2Ftoc.htm&remark=docindex

Finally, get a copy of 'Mastering SQL' published by O'Reilly and work through that. Although there are Oracle-isms in there, it'll help regardless of the SQL-based database you use. Received on Wed Nov 26 2003 - 09:32:43 CST