Re: "We don't do triggers"

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 02:02:25 GMT

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote:

> I'm on the periphery of a rather large (to me, at least: $10 mil..) project in
> which the tech folks flatly say "NO STORED PROCEDURES: NONE, NOT EVER!".
>
> There's got to be a reason, but I don't know enough to even guess at it.
>
> Somebody?
> --

They learned their trade (chose all that apply):

  1. back in Oracle v6 when triggers were new (and joins/views were bad)
  2. entirely from developing front end apps and have no idea what the database is capable of
  3. from Microsoft, and are all MSCEs, with one token OCP
  4. from someone who believed vendor lock-in was expensive
  5. from Archie Bunker (ie. pig-headed bigot)
  6. from their accountant who says 'get in low and we'll make up the difference in tuning'
  7. elsewhere and are trying to build an Oracle practise

Possible responses:

  1. Myth.
  2. Sloppy thinking.
  3. Biased thinking.
  4. read Oracle Experrt One-on-One chapter 1
  5. why are they here?
  6. typical consultancy
  7. Ask for a fixed price quote.

Basically, they are stating they do NOT want to take advantage of the capabilities of the system. (In effect saying - buy this car, but you can not use the builtin radio - you must use our extra stereo, probably with a specially trained stereo operator.) As a result, they are saying the database should be a commodity item and thay wish to duplicate, at your expense, the functionality it contains. Received on Thu Nov 20 2003 - 20:02:25 CST