Re: 30 character limit / workarounds?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:46:15 -0800

mcstock wrote:

> Danny boy -- there have been many times in the two decades that i've been
> developing that i would have enjoyed the option to have longer object
> names -- more-so as i do more and more complex system.
>
> Most reasonable naming conventions often include combined names, prefixes,
> suffixes, and separator characters. 30 characters and be chewed up really,
> really quickly.
>
> -- mcs
>
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
> | FlameDance wrote:

> | > The answer is here:

> into
> | >
> | > If I don't do it, I'll have to find a way to simulate it.
> | >
> | > Stephan
> |
> | You have offered an explanation, of sorts, but still no clarity. How
> | is it that all of us have been developing for more than a decade and
> | never required longer names, and yet "you" have a problem?
> |
> | I'd reconsider your "need" and reconsider it to be just a "preference"
> | and one that many think indicative of a bad design, or in my case,
> | indicative of a front-end developer thinking that they can treat the
> | back-end with the same rules: You can't.
> | --
> | Daniel Morgan
> | http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> | http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> | damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> | (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Wished perhaps but somehow you managed anyway. ;-)

At Boeing Commercial Airplane Group they have a company wide dictionary of approved synonyms. If they can use that to solve their problems ... well at least their naming convention problems ... I doubt any organization is so big it can't do it too.

Verbosity is wonderful. Right up to the point where you have to type it in, connect with tools such as Crystal, Cognos, Brio, or do anything else other than write your hand-tooled code. I get a bit uncomfortable with mainframe systems ported to Oracle that try to cram everything into eight bytes. But 30 is just fine.