Re: 30 character limit / workarounds?

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:40:59 GMT

"FlameDance" <flamedance_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:bpa439$8aj$03$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> Anurag Varma wrote:
> > You would find lot of us asking the question: Why would you want to name an object
> > using more than 30 characters.
>
> The answer is here:
>
> >>I am generating SQL and PL/SQL code from data. If I use the table and
> >>identifier names that a "naive" approach suggests then I often run into
> >>the 30 character limit for names and identifiers.
>
> If I don't do it, I'll have to find a way to simulate it.
>
> Stephan

So it means that you are generating tables on the fly. Not a good idea in the first place. Then even if you are creating tables on the fly, then you should limit the name to less than 30 characters.
If you implement a way to simulate it, you are probably gonna get yourself in a big mess.

Consider how oracle respects this limit when creating materilized view logs. It snips the original table name to something like 20 characters and then assigns a sequence number at the end.

So it depends on how you plan to be using these tables? or what is their purpose.

I do not see why you cannot stick to the 30 character limit for object_names.

Anurag Received on Mon Nov 17 2003 - 12:40:59 CST