Re: Importing data files

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:42:25 -0800

lfb wrote:

>I'd like to fill my Oracle tables with content of various text files.
>It seems that the BULK INSERT command does not exist with Oracle ?
>
>How could I import my datas ?
>
>Thanks,
>Laurent.

Seems like you made a statement about what exists in Oracle without bothering to read
any documentation. Even a cursory look at http://tahiti.oracle.com and a search of the word
"BULK", or opening any book from Oracle Press or O'Reilly on the subject would have
kept you from posting what you did.

Lets start at the beginning. Do you think Oracle is an entity unchanged by time and space?
Do you think version and edition information unimportant?

Assuming 9i you could use external tables.

Assuming any version available during the current millenium you could use SQL*Loader
with Direct Path.

Do you truly believe we are building terabyte databases with insert statements one row
at a time?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu