Re: A job for two cursors?

From: Ubiquitous <weberm_at_polaris.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:35:18 -0500

In article <1065581446.503992_at_yasure>, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:

>What you are proposing is not complicated but it may be unnecessary. If
>you can replace the inner cursor
>loop with a simple SQL statement using an implicit cursor it will be
>much faster. And I don't see from your
>description any reason that would justify using a cursor to do what an
>INSERT or UPDATE statement
>could do far more efficiently.

Ah, thanks! I had completely forgotten that one can perform an insert with more than one row at a time. I thought I'd have to use a cursor to fetch the set, then insert them one at a time. I guess all those years of using COBOL are tripping me up. :-)

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.