Re: Which Oracle books to buy

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:56:48 GMT

Kari Laine wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am starting to learn Oracle. Administration and also programming. I plan
> to learn how to use ADO with Oracle and I think there is also an oracle way
> to access (CLI). Anyway I have budgeted to buy 4-5 books and now I would
> like to get the best ones. I don't want the ones which practically only
> duplicate the product manuals.
>
> I once read an Oracle book in which were also examples how to write stored
> procs with Java(tm). It was on Linux env. I can't recall the title anymore.
>
> Please recommend.

Suggest you access http://otn.oracle.com >> Documentation button at top (alternate access is http://docs.oracle.com), go to the release you are trying to learn, list all books and >>print<< the Database Administrator's Guide. Thumb through that for a while to get yourself to the point of asking specific questions, then go through a bookstore's shelves and see which ones answer those questions.

Also check out http://www.oaktable.org & http://www.oaktable.net

My personal library includes (but is not limited to)

O'Reilly's (http://oracle.oreilly.com)
>> Oracle Essentials (IMHO should be mandatory reading for everyone)
>> Oracle Built-In Packages (obsolete but useful)
>> Oracle Parallel Processing (also obsolete but useful if you need parallel or
RAC)

Oracle Press (http://otn.oracle.com & look for the Oracle Press advert's
>> Oracle DBA 101 (reasonable intro)
>> Oracle9i Performance Tuning (handy)

WROX Press (out of business - others have picked up the titles)
>> Export One-on-one Oracle (must have)
>> Beginning Oracle Programming (highly recommended as an early purchase for
developers)
>> Oracle9i Java Programming (decent info)

As Volker has already said - an intro course is strongly recommended.

Possibly a better question might be 'which of the 1,800 Oracle-related books should be avoided'. Most have some good hints but some are awful.

--
/Hans
[mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]