Re: Simple Q re schemas and users

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 7 Oct 2003 10:39:31 -0700

Holger Peine <peine_at_iese.fraunhofer.de.this-is-junk> wrote in message news:<3f82bb52_at_news.fhg.de>...
> Hello everyone,
>
> you will see from my question that I'm not an Oracle expert.
>
> How can I make many DB users access the same set of tables
> without qualifying each access with the name of the schema
> containing the tables?
>
> I have one user MASTER which creates all the tables (thus all tables
> end up in the MASTER schema), and many other users (some of them
> created later at run-time) accessing the tables (sometimes via DML
> statements, sometimes via stored procedures). The users maintain no
> other data besides that in the MASTER schema's tables, i.e. there
> are no tables in all those user schemas. The users need to prefix
> the table names, like MASTER.sometable. I feel that this is not the proper
> way to do that, but what is the recommended way?

It is the proper way. That's just standard SQL: SchemaName.Tablename Why would you say it's not proper. It may be tedious, but it's not improper.

> Should I create a public synonym (or one private synonym in each user
> schema) for every table name?

YES. Well, at least create the private synonyms.

[]
I'll let others answer your packages question because at the moment I'm not sure. And I'd prefer not to give you a wrong answer.

HTH,   Ed Prochak Received on Tue Oct 07 2003 - 12:39:31 CDT