Re: Ugh! .pdf's require Winblows!

From: bgeer <bgeer_at_xmission.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:33:20 +0000 (UTC)

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.com> writes:

>bgeer wrote:

>> I find an Office 2k distribution cdrom with IE5, but it won't load
>> until I restart 'cause of the aborted attempt to install Reader 6.
>>
>> For a company that's *supposedly* focusing Linux, I say,
>>
>> "NOT DOING A VERY GOOD JOB!!!"

>Ummmmmmmm

>Has anyone else in your class run into this?
>Have you (or your instructor) raised this with Oracle?

I'm the only Linux afficionado in class, & we have all WinXP machines in class & no Linux machines in class. Our instructor has been lobbying to make our class machines dual boot Linux but it has been like pushing a chain trying to get any decision much less a positive one.

>I regularily get .pdf files from Oracle and use them on a wide variety of
>OSs, including Linux. Most have no issues. Occasionally I get some that
>are either incorrectly transmitted or built using a newer version of
>Acrobat than I'm using - and Oracle will generally rebuild the latter if
>asked.

The .pdf's for this class are the first I've had problems with, too. That's what's so blithery about it - everything else has worked. So, what's so special about these?

>Actually I find it somewhat amusing that you state 'these PDFs are loaned'
>and then you are frustrated that these apparently private documents are
>not available on the public OTN site.

I explained the "loaned" issue in a previous post - they are distributed to the class' students & we're asked not to pass them on to anyone else. I'm amazed that there are no results at all when doing a search for these class documents on OTN. I didn't exactly expect them to be posted for download, but perhaps suggestions for additional materials, errata, etc.

>Also kinda funny that you don't
>mention trying Acroread for Linux.

Didn't know it existed...I've been using xpdf with great results since 0.8. In fact, only problematic .pdf's I have found have been from oracle.

> As far a wandering around in OTN - I
>have been around the OTN neighborhood with Netscape 4.5-4.9, IE
>5.0,5.5,6.0 and Konquorer 3.1,3.1.1 - it almost sounds like you disable or
>suppress cookies to get that kind of symptom.

I redirect cookies to /dev/null. Ok, so I delete my sym link, touch a cookies.txt, tried again, watched my OTN login work right up until I clicked on Forums & suddenly I was guest again. I checked cookies.txt & there were cookies accumulating in it just fine. That's with Mozilla 1.2 & Netscape 4.7.

>More than anything, you've kinda got that troll look & feel - waddu-u say?

If I could have gotten my hands around the throats of the doofuses who decided on making the .pdf's unusable, & decided to that acroreader couldn't be installed without IE, well, there would have been a lot of troll look & feel! That kinda crap is just unnecessary...

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | 	  ||||      We sure       ||||    <>
<>    bgeer_at_xmission.com     | 	==    ==    find it     ==    ==  <>