Re: sqlplus crash on invalid column ?

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:04:06 GMT

"Jon Landenburer" <jon.m.landenburger_at_verizon.com> wrote in message news:feee7535.0309300236.795936e9_at_posting.google.com...
> Last weekend I spent a couple of hours with a single delete statement
> in sqlplus. Everytime I would run it , it would pause for about 10
> minutes then come back with a ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication
> channel. This would kick me out of sqlplus. AT first I was in the
> BENTHIC Golden, then I started working directly in sqlplus. Same
> results. It was'nt until I ran the delete statement in another
> database that I finally got the error message ORA-00904: invalid
> column name !!
> Ah! an invalid column in the delete statement had been causing sqlplus
> to crash! Later I found that an alert was generated as well as a trace
> file. My dba says this is normal. So I tested this on six other
> databases in the network and all return the simpler 904 error message.
> I am interested in any comments.

Can you state your case more clearly?
You did a select on one database and it gave you a 3113 error. Ok then you went to *another* database and did that select and that gave you a 904. So you assume that the first database meant 904 but gave 3113?

What are you talking about?

The database that gave 3113 created a trace file on the oracle server .. right? Then your DBA said it was normal? What was normal? What is he there for? Why doesn't he investigate that trace file and sort the problem out?

Anurag Received on Tue Sep 30 2003 - 18:04:06 CDT