Re: Why Not Allow Temp Tables?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:20:07 -0700

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

>RE/
>

>>Sounds like you've not understood what global temporary tables are about?
>>

>I think you've nailed it.
>
>I was missing the "fixed structure, data-visible-to-only-inserting-session"
>part.
>
>Now it makes more sense.
>
>I'm taking the "no schema changes except under controlled cirumstances" part on
>faith. Would the prohibition be because letting somebody do a CEATE
>TABLE/DROP TABLE for temp tables mean that they could do the same thing with
>"real" tables?
>PeteCresswell

The reasons are as follows:

  1. Kills performance and scalability
  2. The privileges to create objects do not belong in a production schema except during brief periods when it is being built or modified under the direct supervision of the DBA.
  3. Completely unncessary so no reason to do it.
--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu