Re: Annual Oracle World Database Survey

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 11 Sep 2003 13:24:17 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1063290517.128824_at_yasure>...
> Billy Verreynne wrote:
>
> >Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote
> >

> >And this is just scratching the surface of Delphi's OO Pascal
> >implementation. :-)
> >
> >BTW, the variable + underscore is something that many use in Delphi to
> >indicate a private class variable (however, we prefix the variable
> >name with an underscore but this is not valid in PL/SQL).
> >
> >What I do *not* want to see is the asine C/C++ implementations of
> >token parsing and the like that is globalised and very unsafe to use.
> >(there's nothing like that in Pascal)
> >
> >The reason Delphi is so popular among Delphi developers is not because
> >it is language loyalty or brand loyalty (hello VB developers!) or
> >fanaticism (hello Java developers!). It is because of two things. The
> >best IDE on the planet. A language and OO implementation that is easy
> >and make sense.
> >
> >Given Oracle's history of crap front-end tools (of which OEM is an
> >extention), I have little hope of the former from Oracle. But the
> >latter - an OO implementation that is easy, sensible, flexibile and
> >all that... there's a *lot* that Oracle can learn from Delphi.
> >
> >Microsoft proved that. They made the Delphi project manager an offer
> >he could not refuse and had him design C#. Which is just a rippoff of
> >Delphi - nothing more.
> >
> >--
> >Billy
> >

> Why don't you send a message to Mark Townsend describing in detail your
> proposal and why
> doing so would be advantageous to Oracle as opposed to that small cadre
> of developers that
> didn't walk away from Borland while Phillipe Kahn was destroying his
> company.

Jealous? http://www.pegasusracing.com/ :-)

I missed all the fireworks (like
http://www.insearchofstupidity.com/Book_Excerpts/Chapter_Seven/chapter_seven.html ), since I was more interested in multiuser relational databases. I think Kahn actually hit the nail on the head when he predicted $100/seat for any commercial software. Don't think Larry wants to hear that!

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"These are the kinds of profits that billionaires get envious about" -